We made the jam Kawachi-bankan. This is a Japanese grapefruit, it’s very big size, so I cannot hold it in one hand.
Taste is very good ? but quite different from the standard grapefruit, much more mellow. They are pesticide-free, so we can eat everything, even the skin ?
Small recipe ? Kawachi-bankan ? jam
Ingredients (for 2 big jars)
- Kawachi-bankan (Peels and fruits) … 600g
- Cane sugar … 200g
- White wine … 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice … 1 tablespoons
- Pectin … 2 teaspoons (if you need it)
- Put in the peels in hot water for about 15 minutes. Then pick them out and place them in cold water for about 30 minutes.
- Put the peels and fruits in a pot with sugar and cover with water, then cook over low heat.
- Once heated, add the white wine, pectin and lemon juice.
- Stir constantly and when it gets to your preferred jam consistency, it’s time to ladle into a clean jar very carefully.
- Cover and let cool completely at the room temperature.
If you like the spicy taste, you can add ginger too. Add a spoonful in a glass of carbonated water to make your original ginger ale.