Kome-Koji is a base of Miso, Soja sauce, Ama-saké, Japanese seasoning and skincare etc. We can get it easily in Japan, so we often make a seasoning to use for daily cooking.
It started fermentation culture in Japan. It’s great for your health certainly, it includes many enzymes, so it helps well your digestion and absorbing nutrition of vegetables and meat too.
Shio-Koji is a Japanese condiment that can be used to replace salt. You can put it in salads, in pasta sauce, in soup, curry, spread on meat… Shio-Koji is packed with enzymes and Umami. You can use it in any kind of dish, it’s a super-food for us.
Ingredients (for 3 months worth)
- Kome-Koji 200g
- Hot water 60℃ 300cc
- Salt 60g
- Add the Kome-Koji to a jar.
- Cover with the hot salt water (60℃) and mix gently with a spoon.
- Close the jar and keep at room temperature.
- The Kome-Koji mixture should be wet like porridge. After 6 to 12 hours, you should check and add or remove water depending on the consistency. This is very important for proper fermentation.
- Mix gently with a spoon once a day for 5 days (in summer) to a week (in winter).
- Taste the mixture, if it’s still too salty it needs more fermentation.If you start tasting sweetness, it is done and should be put in the fridge to stop the process.
Once the fermentation is complete, you can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 months.