Kanten is made from seaweeds such as Tengusa and Ogonori. It different from agar and gelatin. It gives stronger coagulation, but tastes smooth and very soft. Kanten has a lower transparency, so it is often used for Japanese sweets (Yokan, Ammitsu etc) and Japanese cooking. There is a lot of fiber in Kanten, so it’s good for your health. It is famous for diet in Japan.
Ingredients (for 6 persons)
- Kanten powder … 4g
- Water … 500ml
- Put the water and Kanten powder in a pot.
- Mix with a spoon, and cook a low heat until fully dissolved.
- Bring to a boil for 2 minutes a low heat.
- Ladle into a clean shallow rectangular pan very carefully.
- To harden the Kanten, let it cool completely at the room temperature or put in the fridge.
- Once hardened, cut the Kanten in small mouth-size cubes to eat.
There is no taste so it can be added salad, or we can eat it with fruits, fruit juice, fruits syrup, milk or soy milk. You can also replace the water with Dashi to give it umami taste. You can arrange it as you want.